Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Everybody loves a surprise!

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had some classified information that was taking up a lot of my time and that I was hoping to be able to share with you soon...

One of my best friends is expecting a baby! I'm very excited for her, especially since I don't have very many friends who are mommies. It will be nice to have a "partner in crime" so to speak.

"But why," you ask, "would another person's pregnancy occupy so much of your time?"

Well, to be honest, my friend's pregnancy wasn't planned and it was hard for her to adjust to the idea of having a baby. I can't say I blame her, my pregnancy with my daughter was unplanned too and sometimes even the best surprises can really throw you for a loop. So, I've been spending a lot of time with my friend lately just letting her talk and sharing my perspective with her. I'm glad she felt willing to confide in me and I hope that some of what I said was valuable to her.

As I said, my pregnancy with my daughter was unplanned but it's important to say that it was never unwanted. I knew from the moment I found out I was pregnant that I wanted that baby. I like to say that she was the best mistake I ever made. But, really I don't consider her a mistake at all.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the best way to clarify what I'm trying to say is by paraphrasing a scene from the TV show Roseanne. In this scene, DJ (the youngest at the time) asks his mom if he is a mistake. Roseanne says to him, "You're not a mistake but you were a surprise" DJ asks her what the difference is and she replies, "A mistake is something you don't want but a surprise is something that you didn't know you wanted until you got it"

I saw that episode of Roseanne while I was pregnant and it really stuck with me, what a beautiful way to describe an unplanned pregnancy! I hope that my daughter never has any reason to think that she is a mistake but if she ever asks I will tell her exactly what Roseanne told DJ.

I think dealing with my friend's pregnancy and listening to her talk about whether she should have an abortion or not (she's not) is a lot of the reason that my miscarriage has been on my mind more lately. The whole thing just got me feeling very anti-social and I apologize for that.

I've also decided to start a new blog that will just be about my Barefoot Books business. I have to admit it's been hard for me to find the right balance between my personal life and Barefoot on one blog. I hope that you follow me over to Barefoot Books in the Prairie to keep up to date on all things Barefoot related! There isn't much there currently but I will be posting book reviews, updates about my business and information about literacy. I will however continue to post special offers from Barefoot Books on this blog.

Thanks to all of you who sent lovely comments and emails about my last post and truly was hard to write and it's been even harder trying to find the right words to follow it up with. I hope to be a bit more back to normal soon!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sarah, thank you for stopping by my blog to make a comment. I would have never known about you if you hadn't!

If it is any comfort, I know several women who do not always labor prodromally, or, if they do, subsequent labors have not been as challenging as the first time.

Thanks again for stopping by, especially after so much time. I'm glad to hear your story and to see a little of who you are. Hope you can be a comfort/encouragement to your pregnant friend. I can relate a little--all 4 of our pregnancies have been lovely surprises (at least once, the lovely part has had to sink in!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails