Sunday, May 23, 2010

My introduction to Barefoot Books


When my friend Megan was planning my baby shower last year she wanted me to choose a theme for the shower. I didn't really have a theme in mind, so I told my friend to just do whatever she wanted. Well, Megan came up with a novel (pardon the pun) idea - we had a book themed shower!

When the invitations for the shower went out they asked guests to bring a favorite children's book instead of a greeting card. I thought it was a great idea! I have loved books since I was a kid and I was excited to start growing my daughter's library.

I got so many new kid's books at that shower, some of the classics like "The Runaway Bunny", "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel" and "Where the Wild Things Are". I also got several books I had never heard of which was a lot of fun too.

One of the new books was called "I Took the Moon for a Walk" by Carolyn Curtis and Alison Jay. My friend Emily said it was one of her son's favorite books and that it was also a story she didn't mind reading over and over again.

That night as I looked through the gifts I had received at my shower I took some time to read "I Took the Moon for a Walk" and I quickly fell in love with it. The illustrations are dreamlike and beautiful and the language is lyrical and descriptive at the same time.

It opens with:
"I took the moon for a walk last night / It followed behind like a still summer kite / Though there wasn't a string or tail in sight / when I took the moon for a walk."

The story follows a boy on a nighttime stroll with the moon "sharing his sweet sleepy light". The boy meets several nocturnal animals on his walk as well as other people enjoying the evening. As a bonus, there's a section at the end of the book that talks about moon phases and gives more information about moon phases.

My daughter is only 6 months old and is too young to ask for a special book or toy. But, I know that Allison loves this book. Every time we read it she smiles as soon as I read the first sentence. I look forward to the day she starts really pointing to the animals in the picture, to the day that she looks into the night sky and smiles to see the moon looking down on her and to the day she starts reading the book herself. I know this book will be a favorite for a long time.

Several months after I received my first Barefoot Book I decided to find out if there were more books like it out there. I asked my friend Emily about it and she explained that Barefoot Books aren't sold in stores but are available online or through individual "ambassadors".

I found Barefoot Books easily online and after browsing through their books for a few minutes I realized I was in love. I wanted all of them! As I was browsing the site I came across a link to become a Barefoot Books Ambassador. I was more than a little intrigues about the idea of selling these beautiful books and when I realized that it was free to sign up, I just couldn't resist!

I'm still very new to this but I'm very excited to be an Ambassador for Barefoot Books. I think every child should have access to engaging books like "I Took the Moon for a Walk".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails